I thought I'd share a few more pics of my ongoing project, a "Pre-Kipper" Henry the Green Engine, being built from a standard Bachmann Henry model. Today's update concentrates on the tender, which is all but complete; missing lining out and the number three numerals.
The colour looks much less like it matches on camera, but in real life the shades between the two greens used is not obvious at all.
I'm thrilled with the way the tender has come out - the added height makes it that much closer to the real thing. It's also quite a sturdy modification too, and the smoothest finish I think I've done on a model. A pity when you consider I have to strip the loco body again later this week for a third repaint!
The real coal adds something to the overa…
Read more >
Still working on the "Pre Kipper Henry" model, for the upcoming Hornby VS Bachmann Henry video.
I'd like to make something very clear: by no means is my upcoming "how to" video, the only way, or the "best" way of making these character; simply how I managed it.
However, I'd like to think that my way of doing it has a little panache, so let's see how I've been getting on this week...
Yes - we have the green paint, finally applied! I had my heart set on a particular type of aerosol green, but after a few attempts I felt the colour was significantly off. So as per usual, I mixed my own, and applied a varnish afterwards. The result is as above - hopefully matching the wheels and cylinders rather more closely than the paint I was originally going …
Read more >
Taking my mind off the rioting in London, I decided last night to get on with the Henry build, which involves modifying the Bachmann Henry model into its original form.
However, one thing stuck out as wrong for both the original Henry, and his rebuilt form. The tender. The side sheets on the standard Bachmann model are far too short. I was debating in the last blog post as to whether or not to bite the bullet and make the modifications, and as you can see from the picture above, it would need some additional material on the side sheets.
Well, you know me...!
Two strips of plasticard, 2mm thick, was stuck down after I carefully filed down either side of the moulded coal for them to rest on. These were stuck down with expoy and left to harden f…
Read more >
I thought I'd give a little update for those of you waiting anxiously for the Henry VS Henry video (out by September 9th), through showing you a few modelling updates. Here, I have test fitted the safety valves and whistle, and the cab, and put the model together to show how it'll look when finally put together.
Handrails have been fitted - I got fed up of trying to preserve the moulded ones!
The boiler bands were removed - we had a little debate on the Sodor Island Forums regarding this, and it suddenly hit me this morning as to why the boiler bands were so wrong. Removing the outer bands leaves the exact same number of bands - and spacing - as the Bachmann Gordon model! So there you have it, it seems the two models share a lot of developme…Read more >
This is a trailer for a product review which looks at the top two models of Henry the Green Engine, sold in the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, and made by the companies Hornby & Bachmann respectively.
This trailer features the work in progress, "Pre-Flying Kipper" Henry, made from a standard Bachmann Henry model.
The full review will have a link to a full "how to segment" to show you how to make your own version of the original Henry model from the television series, with what tools, materials and paints to use.
It's a work in progress, but I think it's coming along nicely. Needs a lot more work to the bodyshell and cab, I have sourced replacement safety valves and a whistle, in short it's going to look terrific when finish…
Read more >